Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The 'Thursday Next' Series

Over the winter break, I read Jasper Fforde's 'Thursday Next' series, and I loved it. The books aren't a heavy piece of English literature; they aren't books where you need to analyse every sentence for hidden foreshadows or look in the dictionary every few pages to find the meaning of certain words or phrases that you didn't previously understand. It is a series in which you can sit down, relax, and let the author take you on the most unconventional journey seen in English fiction. 

These books cannot be read by any simple, uneducated and unread person. The reader needs to have read significant works of English fiction, and even at times some ancient mythology, to understand the references and jokes, and to thoroughly enjoy the books. 

Never judge a book by its cover. Or by the first few chapters. I emphasize this phrase if you intend on beginning this series. The cover and the first few chapters of the first book may strike you as childish, junior make-believe, and unappealing; but if you continue reading on, you understand that the book is an absolutely wonderful read. 

The author, Jasper Fforde, keeps this book incredibly fast-paced, and it hooks the reader in almost instantaneously. Make sure you have time on your hands when you begin reading this series, for you won't put it down until you've gotten utterly sick of it. I told Mr. Bérubé that I was bored, and I needed something that would keep me interested; he checked the first book out for me, The Eyre Affair, and told me to read the first few chapters. I read up to chapter 5, then I went back to the library the next day and checked out the next 6 books to the series. I read the whole series in about 10 days over the winter break. I could not put the books down. 

This series is incredibly original, silly, fast-paced and absurd. I recommend this series to anyone who doesn't usually enjoy reading (because they will after this series), and anyone who has trouble focusing on one thing happening at a time. Some of the best reviews for this book so far are: 
"The reader catapulted in and out of truth and imagination on a hectic, humorous and neatly constructed chase" The Times 
"Forget the rules of time, space and reality; just sit back and enjoy the adventure" The Daily Telegraph 
"'The Eyre Affair' is a silly book for smart people" Independent

No comments:

Post a Comment