Monday, January 13, 2014

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card


During the Christmas vacation, I re-read one of my all-time favourite books. This book, was Ender's Game. I re-read this book after having seen the movie, which in my opinion, did not stick to the book at all. I felt that I had to put the story straight in my mind, I couldn't let it get jumbled by the movie.

This book is the first of a series of five different books, of which I also read Speaker for the Dead.

I loved this book because, at the time when I first read it, it seemed as this far-off future, or invented land where there were extra-terrestrials who needed to be wiped out, that planet earth would soon be under the attack of the Buggers for the second time (or so the people thought).
However, what struck me the most, when I was re-reading this book, was the way that the author put so much importance on the children, how they are seen to be the only ones that can defend the earth from the oncoming onslaught. I really enjoyed the way that the author acknowledges the fact that children are very smart beings, that education can help us, but that it is not everything. The educated adults are dependent on the children, to save them.

No comments:

Post a Comment