Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Books.

This term I have been craving something different. Something that could send shivers down my spine, and keep me awake throughout the night. I wanted something with unexpected twists and turns, but I also wanted to something soothing and comfortable. So once I had an idea of what I wanted, I went ahead to the library.

The first book I picked up was 'Out of Africa' By Karen Blixen (or Isak Dinesen). A book my gran told me I had to read at some point in my life. Just within a couple of sentences I was already in trance. It is written so pleasantly and descriptively it just makes you want to sit there and imagine this wonderful world, that I one day hope I can discover for myself.

I also found a book called: The Life of an Unknown Man by Andre Mankin. Which Mr. Berube recommended. I have not come far yet, but I can already tell by the style of writing and the setting that it is a kind of love story, but it is definitely not a traditional one. I know something plot twisting is going to appear out of the beyond.

Steppenwolf By Herman Hesse is magical. Purely enchanting, it has some kind of force and allurement. I love the way it is written, and how I can just sit there an indulge. I find it to a certain extent relatable and a piece of amazing poetic writing. It is a classic that everyone has to read!

The most remarkable book which I have picked up is definitely; Senor Vivo & The Coca Lord by Louis de Berniéres. I asked for the most excruciating, blood hungry, explicit, luridly descriptive and torturous book that I could get. The book is rather special. As it gives away so many rather weird details. It is also quite confusing. But it is genius. I love it. It is nothing that I have read before. For some reason I am completely tangled up in this mystery of love and burning desire and hatred and torture and death.
This book really gives me all I want. A new kind of knowledge and a different kind of presence.

A play which, may was a little far of what I was looking for, but I gave it a try. The play is 'The Importance of Being Ernest'. I also got a few other copies of plays, such as An Ideal Husband, and Journeys End.

No comments:

Post a Comment