Thursday, April 18, 2013

Hemingway and London Overboard

The Old Man and The Sea by Ernest Hemingway was recommended by one of my good friends who had just recently read it. I thought it was a good idea to try it out so I went to go pick it up, when while I was on the ladder fetching it, I found a book called Sea-Wolf by Jack London. I am familiar with London and I have read some of his works before, so I figured I would go ahead and give it a shot. 
I finish The Old Man and The Sea very quickly as it is after all a very short yet it was a lovely read. I love the relationship The Old Man had with the little boy and with the sea. I felt compassionate with the Old Man, and the way he spoke enhanced this feeling. 
The Sea-Wolf by Jack London, which I just started (chapter 3 currently), is captivating in a nervous way. I have a weakness for this kind of detailed, sentimental style, yet the sailors give a roughness to the plot. 


No comments:

Post a Comment