Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie


During this past vacation, I decided to read Purple Hibiscus. I had never heard anything about it, but several people recommended it to me, so I decided to give it a shot. All I can say is that this was not a bad decision at all.



At the beginning, I was not so sure about the book, and almost gave up on it, simply because it was moving very slowly. Thankfully, I decided to stick with it. As the pace of the book increased, I found myself more and more captivated by Kambili's story. This book is situated in Nigeria, the birthplace of the author, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. This is story of a young girl who comes from a very catholic family, with a very strict father. Her relationship with her father is full of respect, but extremely violent, and she suffers multiple physical punishments, along with her brother, Jaja. 

No comments:

Post a Comment