Monday, December 9, 2013

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus / Philosophical Investigations

Reading Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, Wittgenstein's first major philosophical work, I learnt that they don't tell you to not read books suggested by philosophy students for no reason. It was very confusing, and it ended up stealing a big part of my precious time during the summer vacation. Reading Wittgenstein: A Very Short Introduction, of which I will write in a separate post, proved to be very helpful in getting through this book.
This books becomes more and more interesting with understanding. In this book Wittgenstein talks of metaphysics and the connexion between language and the world, and uses this to explain in what way all traditional philosophical questions have no sense.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes language and/or logic, but it's not your everyday reading book (I hope, for your mental well-being).

I have not yet finished reading Philosophical Investigations (in fact, I'm just a few dozen pages into it), but so far it promises to be much more thorough than the Tractatus. It covers a much wider range of topics, and in a way, it seems to spoon-feed its readers more than did the book formerly reviewed. I would almost say that Philosophical Investigations is a better starting point to understanding Wittgenstein, but it is essential that one read the Tractatus before picking this book up, as it builds upon the flaws noticed after the publication of the Tractatus.
Again, I would recommend this book, but it does not belong in an English classroom, despite being chiefly about language.

For a bit of humour related to this book:


No comments:

Post a Comment